Wednesday, October 6, 2010

News from around our rainforest

A few things have happened in the past few days, our neighbor’s house was broken into and things were taken. Their house is located at the end of the road and is hard to see, but there is also nothing else around it. Their house sitter was at work and away from the house. I feel really bad for them. We all live and learn from others experiences, may they be good or bad.

On a lighter note, we have discovered the wonders of fresh black pepper, and I am not talking about the stale stuff you buy at the store. I am talking about it being picked off the vine, ground and sold the next day at the farmers market. I have never tasted anything quite like it before since I am used to the stale old pepper you buy at Safeway. This stuff adds a whole different dimension to food. It has a very distinctive taste to it and lingers for quite some time after eating it.

Some of the trees are also bearing fruit that is bringing in a lot birds. The other day we saw 5 new birds we have not seen here before. Right now the birds are migrating so we expect to see a lot of new ones. Some of the clowns of nature always have to act up. Here a Toucan is trying to get the best one.



Almost falls out of the tree.



Comes up with the prize.



And yes they can fly as odd as they are.

1 comment:

  1. Tom & Jana-
    It sounds like you're both doing great. I have been reading the blog and it really sounds amazing, I'm jealous! Things have been pretty good here. I just accepted a new job as the Program Coordinator for the INBRE program which I'm really excited about, the rest of the office was happy for me but sad to see me leave. Anyways, I just wanted to tell you both hi and to continue living it up! Take care.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete